Sunday, September 6, 2009

catch-up time

Hey y'all! I'm back! The first week of classes went really well and I have the privilege of an amazing group of professors! I'm taking:
Introduction to Rhetorical Theory
Developmental Psychology (she tells us stories of her kids and grandkids and own research to illustrate what she is instructing, plus her name is Lois - awesome!)
History of Iraq (so interesting and the professor is very knowledgeable, as well as exposes us to different views on the subject through our reading)
Statistics in Education
Modern China (my professor has lived in China, and made 30+ trips over there. He is including literature - The Good Earth and Oracle Bones - poetry, music, and folklore in addition to the core history text. He is also utilizing a documentary entitled China, A century of Revolution. He is amazing!)
I'm very excited about this semester and have good feeling about it all! I start my internship with Special Olympics on Tuesday and will be doing a variety of things, all essential to running a nonprofit - board meetings, committee meetings, marketing, program planning, etc. I'm really looking forward to this opportunity!

Recruitment went well, we got 18 new girls! Two over quota, and the largest pledge class of any house at our university! Greek Life isn't really a big thing in Montana, so we're proud of our hard work! My house turned 100 over the summer, so at homecoming in October we're having a big 100 years in Montana celebration - it will be so much fun and we have 200+ alumna coming out with their families!

I'm still looking for a job for the school year, and hopefully I'll find one soon! I need gas money to get to my internship and around town!

Last night we went out for one of my sorority sister's 21st birthdays; she had a really good time and it was fun to celebrate with her! Today and tomorrow are all about homework; I have so much reading to catch up on from the first week and to get done for this next week!

Our Griz football team won their first game with a shutout over a smaller instate school called Western. Final score was 38-0. Next week we're playing a road game at UC Davis.

My beloved Crimson Tide pulled off a win over Virginia Tech yesterday; I have to admit I was scared for awhile there! On that subject, I got my swap gift for Preppy Southern Princess' College Football Swap from Lulu Bee at Southern Belle with Seashells. She is such a sweet heart and if you don't already read her blog, you should go check her out! She has a second blog about her summer in Paris - I'm jealous of her adventures, it sounds like she had so much fun!

Pittsburgh Steelers have their first game of the regular season against the Tennessee Titans on Thursday; I'm so excited! Can y'all tell I love football season? The cool thing about the Titans is that one of their coaches '- I think the head coach - sons plays for the Griz here in Montana! Small world y'all! Also, just have to throw it out there, I went to high school with Vanderbilt's quarterback and he led his team in passing yards to a shut out against Western Carolina 45-0! Way to go 'dores!

Okay, back to homework I go; my main priority is preparing my presentation on filial piety within the Good Earth by Pearl Buck; I read the book twice in high school (world literature and AP literature) so hopefully I can finish it fairly fast since the presentation is at 2 p.m. on Tuesday. I also have a ton of catch-up to do from this last week since it was recruitment and I got behind, as well as get everything read and prepped for class this week!

Oodles of love to all y'all and I hope you have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!

2 comments:

KAC said...

Congrats on doing so well in recruitment...that's so exciting! Your classes sound so interesting...hope they all go well and glad you had a great Labor Day weekend!

Kassie said...

I'm glad you're enjoying being back at school so much!! And good job on recruitment...going over cap is huge!

I went to a school where our Greek Life was pretty tiny. My pledge class was the largest of any sorority at ANY time--and it was 22. By far the biggest! lol.