Wednesday, April 8, 2009

BeadForLife


Today my Easter gift from my family arrived; I got the book Marley & Me, a Starbucks gift card, a giant, solid chocolate egg I gave to my sorority little sister and a bracelet made by women in Uganda. I wanted to share the story my Mama sent me about the bracelet; her school was selling them as part of their service learning project; and I think that the bracelet is not only beautiful, but it makes me feel good to wear it too! ♥

beadforlife.org


"This past week and next week, students at Ranch Creek are learning about Uganda and the BeadForlife organization that is supporting the rebuilding of a community and its people following many years of civil war. on a chance encounter in 2004, 2 women from Boulder, Colorado met women in a Kampala slum who were creating jewelry from handmade beads. This led to the formation of BeadForLife. Women, who previoulsy worked in a rock querry for a mere 80 cents per day, now create beautiful jewelry to be sold in North America. The money benefits the beader as well as the entire community by providing medical education and supplies, schooling for children and vocational training for adults. This is truly an example of "a hand up rather than a hand out". Habitat for Humanity has now partnered with BeadForLife to build adequate housing for families formerly living in mud shacks. As with other Habitat projects, the family helps with the actual building and then is able to make affordable payments towards owning their home."

At the top is a picture of the bracelet my Mama sent me - it is a bautiful crimson color with black specks and reddish-purple glass beads seperating the bigger handmade beads. Please check this group out with the above attachment - how wonderful of a way to wear your support for something so positive and bring awareness to a needy part of the globe! God bless y'all and may he keep you in the Easter mind set this week as we prepare for the wonder and glory that is to come! ♥

4 comments:

Ginny said...

Aw, that's so sweet of your mom to send you Easter presents! What a great charity that bracelet comes from, I will have to check them out.

PS-Yay for being birthday twins!

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Oooo! My mom's friend sells those beads for Beads for Life... I have 2 necklaces that I layer and get tons of compliments on. What a great organization!

Wearing Mascara said...

Hey, just wanna let you know that my blog has switched to WordPress and for many people it's not showing up in their readers. Visit: wearingmascara.com to make sure it's showing up properly! (You may have to delete and then add it again). xoxo,

Julie

♥ H ♥ said...

I love that bracelet!

Thanks for the blog comment. I'm kinda nervous but the lady is super nice so I should be fine....I hope!!! eek! lol

Have a good day!
XOXO